Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
DIRECTIONS: To write a COMMENT, click on the comment line under the topic you want to write about. Type in your comment, CLICK NAME/URL, type in your FIRST NAME ONLY, grade & homeroom (5Y for 5th grade Young). Then submit your comment! THANKS
48 comments:
why do you like art.
thank you for your pictures.your pictures are at my table.igo to school at morgan elamentary.my teacher is ms.Rahrig.you are my favorite artist.we are doing pinweels for peace at are school.
Greetings Keegan and the classes of Ms Rahrig,
How are things in Ohio? Here in Massachusetts the days are warm, with cool nights, perfect for helping the colors of Autumn really POP!!!
Keegan, thank you for your very kind words. I am honored to be your favorite artist. I bet the pinwheels you and your classmates are creating are quite colorful. we have a nice breeze at present which is perfect for a pinwheel.
So, what do you like about art? That's a question for all of the kids.
Do you know what art is? I've always like the description offered by Edgar Degas in which he said: Art is not what you see, it's what you make others see.
Have fun! We'll talk again.
Artistically yours,
Jeff
what made you want to be a artist
what is your favorite color???????????????????????????????????
i really like your drawings how do you do it?
Dear JEFF how you draw your art.
how fun is art can you come to our school
Hello Jessica,
Why do I like art? Hmm, that is a tough one to convey via email, but I shall give it a shot.
I would say the reason I like art is that it gives me joy to create something with my own hands, that I have seen, that I might not be able to express in any other manner. I also create art in hopes that the joy I see in the clouds, trees, water, land, sky, etc. around us, can bring joy to others. That maybe something I create will touch the heart and soul of others, remind them of a time they were young, or out walking with their family, pet, or loved one. That maybe I can help them slow down, and see something they might not realize is there every day. That there is beauty, peace, joy outside every door if we only choose to look.
I like art too because, no two people see or paint the same seen in the same way. I bet if you and your classmates were to draw a picture of what you see outside the art room or school window, everybody may put in a tree, and some grass, but even those that might look the same, there are little differences in each piece which says much about each of us, that though we are all human, we are all different. We are unique in how we see the world.
Now let me ask you: why do you like art?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Kyle,
What made me want to be an artist? Another tough and good question.
Truthfully, I wanted to be a professional hockey player, but I'm a bit too short for that. :-)
Being an artist gives me a chance to give back a very unique way in which I see the world. As I said in my post to Keegan, I am fond of a quote from Edgar Degas in which he says: "Art is not what you see, it's what you make others see"
I try to paint so people can hear the leaves blowing by, or what my footsteps sounded like as I walked to this area to paint. I paint to try to connect people to the land, it's beauty, and power. I couldn't capture these things successfully in other pursuits, hockey, or seven years of guitar lessons. I felt I had something to say, and art helped me say it.
Does that answer your question?
Now, even though you're only nine and have a long time to go, what are some of the things that interest you? Would you like to be an artist?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Eric,
What is my favorite color?
Well, that depends. When painting, it always can change. it's the color that will best give me the look and feel of what I want people to see.
But if truth be told, I was always partial to blue. Blue skies. Blue water. Blue is cool!!!
What is your favorite color?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Autumn,
Thank you for your very kind words. I like your name. Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year.
How do I do it? That is an excellent question.
Well, for one thing. I practice. I practice a lot! It's just like anything you want to do well, you need to practice! it is through practice that you learn how colors relate to each other. how space and mass relate to each other. light and shadow. how paint acts when combined with different types of canvas. They all play a part. But most of all, what I practice at the most is learning how to see. That's how I do it. By observing and then taking those observations from my brain, to my hand, to the paper or canvas.
Does that help answer your question?
Now tell me something you are good at; how do you do that?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Mary,
I remember when my daughter was age 8, what a fun age. (my daughter is 14 now and in high school)
How do I draw my art?
Well, I feel your question is not quite the same as the question from Autumn so let's see if I get this right!?
I paint mostly in pastels. They are a dry medium and because of that some people say they're a drawing medium, but most pastel artists say they are painting and I do too. (it's because of how we work with color and cover the paper that most feel that way)
Anyway, when I paint, I usually only paint something, or someplace I have been. I don't feel I can put the necessary feeling into the piece if I haven't experienced it first hand. Sure, I could probably make a painting of it, but it would lack that special feel.
now sometimes I paint on site, or what is called en plein air. (it's French, and while I could tell you what it means, it might be a good lesson for your and your classmates to learn that on your own. it will be fun) or I paint in my house or studio. It's a room in my house, but you can call it a studio since it's got only my art in there. No matter what, I usually do a sketch of what I am going to paint first. usually on a different piece of paper than what I be painting on. This allows me to decide what to include or exclude from my painting. Maybe nothing. Maybe I move a tree or a rock, or take it out completely? it also allows me to loosen up. Just like an athlete will warm up before a game, or a musician will tune-up or perform a sound check before they play, an artist will often sketch to get ready to paint.
When I paint I usually go top to bottom, left to right. There no rule here. I don't always do that. Some artists do the center of interest first and build out from there. It is what makes you feel best.
from there, I just go. Laying down color, working it in so they play nice together and it is pleasing to the eye. often people will ask: "when do you know when you're done?" trust me you will know.
I usually listen to music when I draw too. Though I played guitar, not well, and love rock 'n roll, I don't listen that when I paint. I need something more calming, so I usually listen to classical music or jazz.
All of these help me to draw my art. Does that answer your question? Now, how do you draw?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Jonathan,
How fun is art?
It is lots of fun; don't you think!?
Do you like to play? Well, in art, we get to make the colors play. They can play fast, slow, in thick lines or thin. They can go off the page and return someplace else and when they are done, they make something that is truly beautiful and something that is yours and yours only. People can buy your art at a gallery, but they can never truly own your art. But, they can hopefully enjoy how much fun you put into your art, and that makes them smile.
now as to your other question, can I come to your school? I would love to come to your school. I just don't know if my schedules and the schedules of my family would allow that? Plus, Ohio is a long way from Massachusetts. But, I am able, I will come. I can't promise anything, but if things work to my advantage, I would gladly come and pay a visit. Can you give me directions?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
yes are pinwheels are vary colorful. here we have a nice breeze too but it gets hot some times.thank you for your fine words.your a vary good artist.you live in Massacusetts cool.were going to become very good friends.please write back!!!!!
What's it like being a artist?
i think we should make another clay proget.
THINK YOU FOR YOUR GOOD ART PANTINGS
Jeff,how do you make art?When I grow up I want to become an artist too.Keep painting more great paintings.
Dear Jeff is art on your mind?Arts on my mind because I am very creative.p.s. your awesome
your art really pops i love it some day i am going to be a artist just like you
i like art because you can make cool stuf my favorite animal is a cat because they are cudley i have1 cat and 1 dog my cats name is teady and my dogs name is daisy i have 4 brothers there names are bruce luke austn and john im the only girl not counting my mom though have a wonderful life
Thank you for the awesome gift. How do
you feel about painting? I really like your farmland paintings. Our pinwheels are very colorful.I usually
spend hours up in my room drawing pictures of my family and places.
I am dreaming of becoming a great artist. I enter a poster contest every
year. You will probaly get another message from me soon.
i like art because you can make cool stuf my favorite animal is a cat because they are cudley i have1 cat and 1 dog my cats name is teady and my dogs name is daisy i have 4 brothers there names are bruce luke austn and john im the only girl not counting my mom though have a wonderful life
hi I lie football it's my favorite sport then baseball.I like art because all of the clay and cool inventions and stuff like that.Your the best artist in the world.Your my favorite artist in the world.Do you like football if so awesome.
Dear Mr. Fioravanti Thank you for the pichers there so cool. Do you have any siblings? I have a brother named Ethan he is 6 and and a sister named Ellie she is 4. How do you make your pantings so real? From Garrett
Hello Keegan,
It is sunny and in the low 60's today in Massachusetts. Your pinwheels would really spin on a day like today.
Thank you for your very kind words about my art.
What is your next art project? What grade are you in?
I hope all is well with you and your classmates, and look forward to our continued conversations.
Hello Hannah,
So, you're making a clay project? That sounds like fun. What are you making?
I'm glad you like my paintings. Thank you for your very kind words.
You must be happy it's the weekend? Did you get any art assignments from Ms. Rahrig for over the weekend? Hope you do some art even if not assigned.
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Michael,
That's wonderful that you would like to be an artist when you grow up. There are many kinds of artists, they create packages, like for cereal, design magazines, create comic books, as well as many other areas so there are plenty of opportunities. Just make sure you do something you like.
How do I make art?
Well, as I've told some of the other students, there are many ways to make art. There are different processes I follow, depending on the scene or what I am trying to accomplish. I usually start everything with an under drawing to get a feel for where I want things. Not everything I see will be in the final piece. You have to determine or decide what works best to get the look and feel you want. I usually start applying paint/pastel from the top and work down, but that is not how every artist would work. You need to do what works best for you. I don't always work in this manner, but that is what I do mostly.
In the end, it's not so much how I make art, but how art makes me! It makes me feel like I've accomplished something when I finish a painting and people react to it positively. That's what I strive for!
How do you make art?
Jeff
Hi Courtney,
How are you?
Is art on my mind? That's a good question. the answer is YES!!! It is always on my mind. I am always looking and seeing at our world, and wondering how I might draw of paint what I see. Sometimes I will take my finger and draw in the palm of my other hand. I keep pencils/pens in my car along with paper for those times when I might be out and really see something that might make a good painting.
What are you thinking about when art is on your mind?
Thanks for the kind words and for writing. You're awesome too!
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hi Logan,
Thanks for writing and thanks for the kind words.
I try to get the art to pop by how I utilize light and shadow so it creates somewhat of a three dimensional effect. As you may know, when drawing, or painting, we are creating in two dimensions. A painting, unlike sculpture lacks depth. However, we as artists try to get around that by our use of light and shadow.
Being an artist is hard work and takes lots of practice, but is lots of fun. I'm sure if you're willing to work and practice then you will be an outstanding artist.
I'll be looking for your work at a gallery, so keep me posted.
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Hello Jacob,
Thank you for writing. I am glad that you liked the gifts. I hope they inspire you and your artwork.
How do I feel about painting?
I love painting. It is truly special to take colors, be they paint, pastels, crayons, and combine them into something special like a painting or drawing.
I bet you and your friends feel the same as I do when you complete a drawing of which you are especially happy about the results. I love looking at paintings, and creating my own. I find something new and exciting all the time in the colors on the canvas.
I spend hours in my room drawing too! I did that when I was growing up and still do it today. I used to draw mostly local sports heroes, or army scenes when I was growing up. It is important to do these things because it helps you develop and refine your skills. Most important is to draw things you like. You'll do your best work drawing what you like. I still practice today, and don't think I will ever stop.
It is good to enter contests. I enter contests too. I recently entered three exhibitions, and had four paintings juried into them. That is always exciting.
What are the poster contests about? keep doing that and best of luck!
Why do you like art?
Jeff
Hello Beth,
How are you? how are things in Ohio?
You're right! you can make cool stuff in art! :-)
I don't have any animals at my house. My daughter would like one, maybe one day. I like cats too. I had several growing up. Their names were Ivan, Sybil, Hillary, and Boris. We had a number of dogs too. They were names Cleo, Tiny, Rebel, Jessie, and Sabrina. The first four were all beagles, and Sabrina was a black lab.
I have two brothers. They are named Rick and Todd. I'm the middle child. Are your brothers older or younger than you? How do you like being the only girl, besides your Mom?
So tell me, what cool stuff do you make in art?
You have a wonderful life too!
Jeff
Hello Trevor,
How are you? How are things at Morgan Elementary and Ms Rahrig's class?
So, you like football and baseball huh? I like them too. I like all sports. What's your favorite team for football? For baseball? Do you play? What's the name of your team? I played hockey and soccer in high school and college, but grew up playing all kinds of sports.
thank you for your very kind words about my art and for making me your favorite artist.
yes, you can make a lot of cool stuff. Clay can be a lot of fun. I've had several friends who do a lot of work with wood too. What cool stuff have you made with clay? your art?
If you look at my web site, in the online gallery, you will see several paintings of football and one of baseball. Do you do drawings football and baseball?
Jeff
Hello Garrett,
Thank you for writing, and for spelling my last name correctly. Most people spell it incorrectly, so tell Ms. Rahrig that I said to give you a gold star! :-)
You are most welcome for the pictures. I am glad you like them. Each picture has a story. that's why they've said: a picture is worth a thousand words. Of course, the story changes from person to person and that's even more special.
Yes, I have two siblings. Both of them are brothers. Rick is the oldest and Todd is the youngest. I'm in the middle. We're much older than you and your siblings. :-)
How do I make my paintings so real? Good question.
It's mostly how I apply the colors. if you were to step up close, you would see a number of different colors. as you step back, they all start to blend together to form an image that looks real, because of how the light and darks interact, and how the warm and cool colors interact.
Did you know colors have temperature?
Jeff
hi what inspred you to become a great artist
What do you like in art. I love art.
Hello Ally,
How are you? Thank you for writing and for your wonderful question; what inspired you to become an artist?
As long as I can remember, I've seen the world in certain way and when I looked at things, I had this need to put what I was seeing down on paper. I loved how my crayons, yes, I used them often when I was young, but I loved how my crayons would dance across the paper in these magical lines, some thin, some thick, some broken, some curved, but each with a purpose, to bring what I saw through my eyes out from inside so I could share it with others.
I am inspired by how the light might kiss the top of a tree early in the morning as a mist rises from a pond or out of a field. How the ocean might lap upon the shore one moment and crash like rolling thunder the next. I am, inspired by life. But even as important as what inspires me was the support and encouragement I received from my parents, my relatives and my teachers to work as my skills and pull what I was seeing out. I could never have accomplished what I have thus far done, or even thought about being an artist if I did not have that encouragement and support.
Tell me now, what inspires you about art?
Jeff
Hello Dana,
How are you this 30th day of September? I do hope you are well and I thank you for writing.
What do I like in art? Another excellent question.
What I like is that you are free to create your art as you see fit. There are rules of art, and there are certain processes you need to follow, but they are all very forgiving and flexible allowing you to pursue your art in a way that is uniquely you. Just as we all may speak English here in the USA, we all have our own unique voice. That's what it does, it allows you to have your own voice. Van Gogh looks nothing like Picasso, who looks nothing like Jackson Pollock, who looks nothing like Frederick Remington, Winslow Homer, John Singer Sargent, etc., etc., but each created artwork that was their own voice and that's what makes it wonderful!!!!
Now Dana, you said "I love art!" Why do you love art?
Artistically yours,
Jeff
The poster contest is over and I got third place.My brother Michael didn't get first, second, or third.I love painting. My mom barely gets me any supplies, so i just use cranyns and paper.
How are you doing?
I realy like your art.What is your favorite drawing or painting.
Makayla said I love your paintings. What is your favorite drawing and paintings
Hello Jacob,
Well Congratulations to you for getting a third place award. That must make you feel very proud. I'm sorry your brother didn't win and award and hope that he doesn't let it keep him from continuing with his art. I can certainly relate, as there have been many shows I have entered in which I didn't win anything. The important thing is to be in the show. So, I hope you encourage him to keep at it and maybe next time he will win. But what is more important, is having fun and being in the show.
I am doing fine. Thank you for asking.
Crayons and paper are wonderful tools for creating artwork. You can create many wonderful things with each, and I'm sure Ms. Rahrig, your classmates and your family will be very excited about seeing what you can do. keep at it!
Jeff
Hello Makayla,
Thank you for writing. How is your day? It's windy here in Massachusetts.
My favorite drawing or painting? That's an excellent question. I'm assuming you mean by another artist and that is how I will answer.
I don't know if I have one particular favorite painting. I find many wonderful things within many different pieces of art. I can tell you that I do like work by the following artists: Edgar Degas, Vincent Van Gogh, John Singer Sargent, Winslow Homer, Jackson Pollock, Andrew Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Norman Rockwell, Frank Federico, Richard McKinley, Richard Schmid, Mary Cassatt, Calude Monet, Childe Hassam, Rembrandt, Renoir, Elizabeth Mowry, Ann Heywood, Frederick Remington, and the list could go on and on.
So you see, with so many artists that I appreciate and adore, it is hard for me to pick one favorite. I love the energy of Pollock, and Van Gogh, Sargent's figures, the colors of the Impressionists, the historical imagery of Remington and Homer and the pure beauty of friends like Federico, Heywood and modern masters McKinley and Schmid.
I will say this, one of the images that I've always liked, that combines my love of art along with my love of American History is the painting by Richard Norris Brooke "Furling the Flag" it depicts the southern soldier surrendering at the end of the Civil War. you can feel so much sadness in the piece, yet there is hope for a new nation, a healing yet to come.
I also really like the work of Charles Schultz. The way he could give personality to his characters was/is priceless.
Does this answer your question? I have no favorite, but just love art, and each new piece I see is a whole new reason to love art all over again!
Do you have a favorite painting?
Jeff
Hello, I just wanted to ask if drawing comes naturally?I'm a great artist just like my Mom. I want to become a great artist just like you. Your paintings look just like photographs, I can't imagine what my paintings looked if they were like yours. Well, have to go.
Hello Madison,
Is it rainy out in Ohio? It is here in Massachusetts. I like the rain, but not like today. It's a cold and hard rain.
Those are excellent questions and I thank you for writing.
Does drawing come naturally? Well, I think what is important is the drive and determination you put into practicing your art. Yes, I think some people might have a natural ability to draw, and I think some might just see things differently. But I also think that many people can learn to be great artists by developing their ability to see and through hard work. I've known some people who were what people might call a "natural athlete" yet they wasted their abilities. The same can be for artists. It's not so much what abilities you do or don't have, but rather what you do with them.
It is good that you have a great artist like your Mom and of course Ms. Rahrig to help you develop your talents. I'm sure if you work hard, and cherish your talents for the gift that they are, you will be that great artist you desire to be.
I thank you for the kind words about my artwork. I hope though, that what you take from my work is only those pieces that help you develop your own work and style so when people look at your work, they can say: "That's a painting by Madison Hollander"
I shall look forward to seeing some of your work one day, as well as the work of your classmates. What do you like to draw most?
Thanks again for writing, and "Happy Painting!"
Jeff
your paintings are so cool! how do you make it look that way? and the way the brush strokes just make it look marvelous. AMAZING!!!
Hello Melody!
First let me apologize for not writing sooner; I don't know why but this message wasn't appearing for me for some reason when I logged into the blog until just recently.
You're probably on vacation right now and won't get this until you return, but I truly am sorry for not writing sooner.
Thank you for your very kind words regarding my art; they are deeply appreciated.
That is an excellent question you ask. I guess I would have to say, that I put a bit of me into every painting, into every stroke, into every color. It is that feeling, that emotion that then translates to the painting, drawing or whatever I might be doing creatively or in anything I might do that matters or I care about and that all goes back into the painting. What do you care about? What do you think you love that you might use as inspiration to put in your drawings or paintings?
I hope you are well, wish you well, and thank you again for the question.
Artistically yours,
Jeff
Post a Comment